Download LENA Home videos to your computer
Although the LENA Home videos can be streamed, this isn't a great option for home visiting locations if the internet is unreliable, unavailable, or unknown. To solve this problem, we've packaged the LENA Home session videos in a PowerPoint file for easy offline playback.
Most home visitors load this file on a laptop they'll bring to each LENA Home session. Follow the steps below to set up the LENA Home video file on your computer. You will need:
- LENA Online access
- A laptop or other device with PowerPoint installed and that meets the other requirements for offline playback
- A good internet connection and plenty of time to download the large file
1. Download the zipped folder that contains the file.
- Go to LENA Home Resources.
- Open the LENA Home Curriculum tab.
- Scroll down to the LENA Home Curriculum Videos section, and click on the set of videos you need (English or Spanish).
- Wait for the file to download. You can see the download progress in your browser window.
2. Extract and save the file to a convenient location.
- Click to open the zipped folder you just downloaded. This will show the file in a File Explorer window.
- Click Extract all to unzip the file.
- Choose the location where you would like to store the file to play the videos.
- Click Extract.
3. Optional but awesome: Create a desktop shortcut
For easy access during coaching sessions, create a desktop shortcut now.
- Open the folder where you just saved the file.
- Right-click on the file, and select Create shortcut.
- Drag the new shortcut to your desktop.
4. Test playback.
Be sure to test the video playback before your first session!
Get comfortable opening the file and navigating to the video you want to play, and make sure it plays smoothly and with good sound.
Note that some virtual meeting platforms have a special setting to share your computer's audio while presenting, and some cannot share the audio from anything but a browser tab (we're looking at you here, Google Meets!).